1 stick butter
8 – 10 slices white bread, crusts removed
5 fresh peaches, sliced
1 cup sugar
½ teaspoon cinnamon
1. Preheat oven to 350 º. In the microwave, melt butter in a 9-inch-by-9-inch baking dish. Pour into separate bowl, but leave a thin coating on dish.
2. Cut each slice of bread into 3 pieces. Layer half of bread slices in bottom of dish. Slice peaches. Drizzle a tablespoon or two of reserved peach liquid over bread in dish.
3. Layer peaches on top of bread slices in the baking dish. Layer the rest of the bread slices over peaches.
4. In a small bowl, mix sugar, egg and cinnamon. Pour over peaches and bread.
5. Pour melted butter over top. Bake uncovered for 30 minutes. Serve warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or whipped cream. Serves 6 – 8.
Luscious Meyer Lemon Cake
2 cups granulated sugar
1 cup unsalted butter, softened
5 eggs, room temperature
½ cup fresh Meyer lemon juice
2½ cups all-purpose flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk
Meyer Lemon Icing (see below) seasonal berries, if desired
1. Preheat oven to 350º. Grease and flour two 9-inch round cake pans. Combine sugar and butter; cream with a mixer at medium-high speed. Add eggs, 1 at a time, blending well. Reduce speed to low and beat in lemon juice.
2. In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and salt. Add this dry mixture, alternately with milk, to the large mixing bowl. Beat well. Pour batter into pans.
3. Bake 22 – 25 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in pans for 15 minutes. Remove from pans and continue to cool completely on wire racks.
4. Spread about 3/4 cup Meyer Lemon Icing on top of 1 cake layer. Place second cake layer on top. Spread remaining icing in a thin layer over the top and sides. Garnish with fresh berries, if desired. Serves 10 – 12.
Meyer Lemon Icing
¼ cup unsalted butter, softened
1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
1/3 cup fresh Meyer lemon juice
1 (1-pound) package confectioners’ sugar
1. Combine butter, cream cheese, lemon juice and half of the confectioners’ sugar. Using mixer, at low speed, beat until well blended. Gradually add the remaining confectioners’ sugar and beat until smooth.
Iboo's Fresh Strawberry Pie
¼ cup cold water
3 tablespoons cornstarch
3/4 cup boiling water
½ teaspoon salt
1 cup sugar
3 tablespoons strawberry or cherry flavored gelatin
1 pint fresh strawberries, hulled and halved
Iboo’s Pie Crust, prebaked (see below)
1 cup sweetened whipped cream
1. Gradually stir ¼ cup cold water into cornstarch.
2. In medium saucepan, stir cornstarch mixture into boiling water. Add salt and sugar. Boil, watching and stirring until the mixture is thick and clear, about 10 minutes. Add 3 tablespoons gelatin and stir to combine.
3. Place strawberries in prebaked pie shell and pour mixture over strawberries. Chill for at least 3 hours in the refrigerator. Top with sweetened whipped cream when ready to serve.
Serves 6 – 8.
Iboo's Pie Crust
3 tablespoons boiling water
7 tablespoons butter
1 ¼ cups flour
½ teaspoon salt
1. Preheat oven to 350º. Pour boiling water over butter and beat with an electric mixer on high until fluffy, about a minute.
2. Stir flour and salt into butter mixture with a fork until well combined Roll this mixture into pie pastry thickness between sheets of waxed paper.
3. Place pastry into pie pan and bake for 5 – 7 minutes. Let cool. Makes a 10-inch pastry.
Photography by Matthew Wood and Lyle W. Ratliff