Andiamo Lodge in north Alabama welcomes guests to a refined, elegantly rustic retreat with great food, beautifully appointed interiors, and more than enough options for relaxing or adventure. While those living on Look out Mountain, have access to so many fresh seasonal things. They love to give the lodge guest food that is in season and picked by them. They are so lucky to have a You Pick Apple Farm right in Mentone. Little River Orchard has so many varieties to choose from. Making Apple-Cider Bundt Cake or Muffins is no exception for the fresh fruit you can find on the vine.
For this recipe they used Honey Crisp and Jonagold. They had a little bundt pan, so with the extra mix made muffins for the guests. They were fab as well .
For the Cake
- 1 1/4 cups mild-flavored oil
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 2/3 cup lightly packed brown sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 tbsp hard apple cider
- 3 eggs at room temperature
- 2 cups packed grated apples, plus 2 cups apple chunks about 4 medium apples
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, plus 1 tbsp. for tossing with apple chunks
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tbsp ground cinnamon
- 3/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tbsp honey I use Local honey from Shinbone Valley Bee company
- 2 tbsp hard apple cider
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- pinch kosher salt
- Preheat oven to 325°F / 165°C. Generously grease and flour a 12-cup / 2.8L Bundt pan. Set aside. ( if you use a small pan you can use the rest for muffins or use all for muffins
- In a large bowl, combine the oil, sugar, brown sugar, vanilla, hard cider, and eggs with a spoon. Stir in the grated apples.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the 2 cups / 240g all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt. Add dry ingredients to the apple mixture and mix only until it all comes together in a smooth batter.
- Toss apple chunks and 1 tablespoon flour, then fold the apples into the batter.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Gently tap the pan on the counter several times to make sure the batter has fully settled into the nooks of the Bundt.
- Bake for about 1 hour 15 minutes or until a tester comes out clean. Let the cake cool in the pan for 15 minutes, then turn out onto a serving plate.
- Combine all ingredients in a saucepan and bring to simmer for 2 minutes.
- Drizzle with half of the glaze over the still warm cake. Save the remaining glaze to drizzle over the cake when it is fully cooled and ready to serve.
Here is the website for info and for you to pick dates when in Mentone
Our honey is from Shinbone Valley Bee Company
To see the full story about Andiamo Lodge please click here.